Choosing the right Doctor for Bariatric Surgery
Choosing the Right Doctor for Your Bariatric Surgery
If you have tried numerous diet and exercise programs in order to lose weight but haven’t been successful, it may be time to try a surgical solution to weight loss. Bariatric surgery, or weight loss surgery, can be the answer for those who need to lose extreme amounts of weight and keep it off. If you choose this option, it is essential that you find a professional weight loss surgeon that will work with you through your pre-surgery, surgery, and post-surgery phases, to ensure you are safe and healthy throughout the process. There are numerous bariatric surgeons throughout the country, and choosing the one who is best-suited to you and your needs can be difficult. Here are some suggestions for how to select the best doctor for your weight loss surgery.
1. Research the weight loss facility. It’s important that the clinic or weight loss center that you choose offers a range of amenities for patients, including extended stays if the treatment warrants it. Your procedure may only require a 1-night stay, and you need to know that your environment will be comfortable.
2. Research your surgeon’s experience. If your bariatric surgeon is a professional, he or she won’t have any problem sharing testimonials from satisfied patients, and will show you the finished results of their work during your consultation.
3. Know your surgeon’s medical credentials. You need to be certain that you surgeon is a qualified medical professional, so don’t hesitate to see proof of medical education or other certification that is relevant to your case.
4. Discuss the risks associated with the weight loss procedure you are considering. Even though there have been remarkable advances in techniques and technology used for bariatric surgery, keep in mind that all surgery carries some level of risk. During your initial consultation, make sure you understand the possible complications that can arise with your surgery.
5. Check out the financing options. Some surgeons have their own payment plans for their patients, and others are willing to work with third-party lenders to pay for procedures. Know what your choices are in advance.
6. Ask about weight loss support groups. For many people, maintaining their new, healthier lifestyle is easier when they have other people to talk to about it. Many weight loss centers include support services as part of the overall treatment.
7. Make sure your doctor will check up on you. Following your surgery, you will need some form of supervision, on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis. You also will have to work with dieticians, fitness experts and other professionals so that you can safely complete every phase of the process. Your doctor should be able to connect you with the appropriate people to help with your treatment, recovery, and maintenance.
8. Do you trust your doctor? Like all people in business, your doctors and surgeons need to earn your trust so that you will let them treat you and give you the best advice. It can take a couple of months to establish the necessary trust level with your doctor, but this step is imperative if you are going to have a safe, healthy surgical experience.
Clearly, it can take time to find a doctor you like and want for your weight loss surgery. You need to make the most informed decisions possible for this type of surgery, so take your time to do the necessary research so that you can get the best, most experienced doctor.